Photography has the power to capture more than just pretty landscapes and family portraits. It can capture history and oftentimes the emotion of actually being there. This is exactly what these 99 photos do. From life and death, to war and those amazing moments of rare beauty in unexpected places. They tell us more about the human experience and our place in the universe than words ever could.
1. In 1967, 17-year-old Jan Rose Kasmir offers a flower to soldiers during an anti-war protest outside the Pentagon.
2. Brazilian police fire on a man during protests against corruption and police brutality in 2013.
3. Sergeant Frank Praytor looks after a kitten during the height of the Korean War in 1952.
4. A curious Afghan girl holds the hand of a female American soldier.
5. A South Korean man cries as his North Korean brother waves after inter-Korean temporary family reunions.
6. Anna Fisher on the cover of Life magazine in 1985.
7. Thania Sayne leaning on her husband's headstone the day before their wedding anniversary.
8. A tribal Chhetri woman in Nepal.
9. A boy in London in the 1960s with a toy double decker bus.
10. Captain Donald Spindler saves 6-year-old Aaliyah Frazier from a fire in Indiana.
11. A protester in Tiananmen Square, Beijing in 1989.
12. Violinist, Nancy Dinovo, cries during a service at Christ Church Cathedral in Vancouver for the 9/11 victims.
13. The child KKK member touches his reflection in an African American officer's riot shield during a 1992 demonstration.
14. Ballet students at Rwanda's only classical ballet school.
15. "100,000 monks in prayer for a better world"
16. Punk rock skater girls in Tehran, Iran.
17. An Irish teen and British soldiers during unrest in Northern Ireland.
18. Louis Boutan taking one of the world's first underwater photographs in 1893.
19. A Mursi tribe woman sees Vogue magazine for the first time.
20. Spreading the love of punk rock.
21. A doctor monitors vitals after 23 hour long heart transplant surgery in 1987. His assistant is sleeping in the corner.
22. The patient survived and actually outlived his doctor.
23. A Ukrainian protester plays piano during riots in the capital city Kiev.
24. Celebration as Minnesota legalizes gay marriage
25. What life is all about.
26. Finding beauty in unexpected places.
27. "I'll see you soon."
28. Stay strong.
29. Bus riders in China save a woman who attempted suicide.
30. A child is passed through barbed wire to his grandparents at a refugee camp during the Kosovo War.
31. Looking ahead.
32. Terri Gurrola is reunited with her daughter after serving in Iraq for 7 months
33. Taking pictures on the beach in Atlantic City, 1912.
34. U.S. troops begin their day in a daze after a third night of fierce fighting against North Vietnamese forces.
35. Greg Cook hugs his dog Coco after finding her inside his destroyed home in Alabama following the Tornado in March, 2012
36. Vietnam veterans protesting the war, 1970.
37. Helen of Many Glacier Hotel, a Native American Phone Operator in 1925.
38. Robert Kennedy's wife Ethel tries to comfort her dying husband after he was shot at the Ambassador Hotel, 1968.
39. Boy tries to wake up his alcoholic father.
40. An old WW2 Russian tank veteran finally found the old tank in which he passed through the entire war – standing in a small Russian town as a monument
41. Reunion of veterans from the Battle of Gettysburg in 1913.
42. A Russian soldier playing an abandoned piano in Chechnya in 1994
43. A woman sits amidst the wreckage caused by a massive earthquake and ensuing tsunam, in Natori, northern Japan, in March 2011
44. Young man just found out his brother was killed
45. A newspaper vendor at a Union camp in Virginia during the Civil War in 1863.
46. Neil Armstrong after his Moonwalk.
47. A behind the scenes look at the iconic image of Marilyn Monroe standing over a subway grate.
48. Some parents, likely now in their 70′s, still looking for their missing child.
49. An unemployed lumber worker and his wife following the bean harvest during the Great Depression. His social security number is tattooed on his arm.
50. The 1891 Bowdoin College Tug of War Team.
51. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1940.
52. Lithuanian man in shock after accidentally hitting and killing an eight year old.
53. A couple in West Berlin peers over the Berlin Wall as the woman speaks to her mother on the other side.
54. Hhaing The Yu, 29, holds his face in his hand as rain falls on the decimated remains of his home near Myanmar’s capital of Yangon (Rangoon). In May 2008, cyclone Nargis struck southern Myanmar, leaving millions homeless and claiming more than 100,000 lives
55. An army intelligence officer attends to Hideki Tojo, the prime minister of Japan during WWII. Tojo attempted to shoot himself in the heart as U.S. troops approached his residence to arrest him. The bullet missed his heart and instead went through his stomach. Tojo made a full recovery before being tried, found guilty of war crimes, and executed.
56. Christians protect Muslims during prayer in the midst of the 2011 uprisings in Cairo, Egypt
57. Eduard Bloch was Hitler's Jewish physician. Bloch was protected by the German secret police and fled the country to the United States before the war began.
58. Two engineers died when the windmill they were working on caught fire. This might be the last picture taken of them alive. Picture was taken on October 29th, 2013 in the Netherlands.
59. A rush on the banks to withdraw gold before the arrival of the communists in Shanghai, China, 1949.
60. A firefighter gives water to a koala during the devastating Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, Australia, in 2009
61. Troops at the battle of Khe Sanh, Vietnam, 1968. This was one of the longest, most violent battles of the war, lasting 77 days.
62. The first McDonald's in 1948.
63. A starving child and missionary
64. Russian soldiers preparing for the Battle of Kursk, July 1943
65. View of the Statue of Liberty from Jersey City in 1973.
66. American POWs heading home from Vietnam as their plane finally lifts off.
67. An Afghan man offers tea to soldiers
68. During massive floods in Cuttack City, India, in 2011, a heroic villager saved numerous stray cats by carrying them with a basket balanced on his head
69. Demonstration of condom usage at a public market in Jayapura, capital of Papua, 2009
70. Father and son (1949 vs 2009)
71. Ignorance is bliss - Homeless man sleeps outside a diner in Milwaukee.
72. Sunset on Mars
73. The Graves of a Catholic woman and her Protestant husband, Holland, 1888
74. A Filipino politician took this photo of his family moments before being assassinated.
75. Protestors place flowers into the rifle barrels of armed officers
76. A monk prays for a dead man in the station hall of the Shanxi Taiyuan Train Station, China. The man died suddenly of natural causes while waiting for a train.
77. Embracing couple in the rubble of a collapsed factory
78. "Wait For Me Daddy," by Claude P. Dettloff in New Westminster, Canada, October 1, 1940
79. A dog named “Leao” sits for a second consecutive day at the grave of her owner, who died in the disastrous landslides near Rio de Janiero in 2011.
80. Five-year-old gypsy boy on New Year’s Eve 2006 in the gypsy community of St. Jacques, Perpignan, Southern France. It is quite common in St. Jacques for little boys to smoke
81. This photo was taken by astronaut Michael Collins, when he took this photo he was the only human, alive or dead, that wasn't in the frame of this picture. He travelled with Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong and orbited the moon whilst they were landing to study the surface of the moon from farther out.
82. Nazi rally at Nuremberg in 1937.
83. Man Falling from the World Trade Center on 9/11. “The Falling Man.”
84. Man uses the suicide hotline on the Golden Gate Bridge.
85. Zanjeer the dog saved thousands of lives during Mumbai serial blasts in March 1993 by detecting more than 3,329 kgs of the explosive RDX, 600 detonators, 249 hand grenades and 6406 rounds of live ammunition. He was buried with full honors in 2000
86. Indian homeless men wait to receive free food distributed outside a mosque ahead of Eid al-Fitr in New Delhi, India
87. Diego Frazão Torquato, 12 year old Brazilian playing the violin at his teacher’s funeral.
88. Heart surgeon after 23-hour-long (successful) heart transplant. His assistant is sleeping in the corner.
89. Inside an Auschwitz gas chamber
90. World War II veteran from Belarus Konstantin Pronin, 86, sits on a bench as he waits for his comrades at Gorky park during Victory Day in Moscow, Russia, on Monday, May 9, 2011. Konstantin comes to this place every year. This year he was the only person from the unit to show.
91. 100s of galaxies seen through the Hubble Deep Field (HDF), as they were 10 billion years ago.
92. Sunset on Mars, taken in 2005 by the Spirit rover.
93. A soldier making the long walk to defuse a car bomb in Northern Ireland.
94. This was taken moments after Jewish refugees realized they weren't being sent to their deaths at the horrible concentration camps and were in fact being saved.
95. Turkish official teases starving Armenian children by showing them a piece of bread during the Armenian Genocide in 1915.
96. Girl devastated after the tsunami that hit Japan in 2011.
97. The orange Sossusvlei sand dunes in Namibia.
98. "The last Jew in Vinnitsa" - Member of Einsatzgruppe D (a Nazi SS death squad) is just about to shoot a Jewish man kneeling before a filled mass grave in Vinnitsa, Ukraine, in 1941. All 28,000 Jews from Vinnitsa and its surrounding areas were massacred.
99. Undulating clouds.
Amazing, every single one of them. Share these inspirational photos with others by clicking below.