1. People have been mooning each other for millennia.
Presenting your naked backside as a form of insult is believed to have originated with Romans, in the first century CE.
2. "Pygophilia" is the scientific name for sexual arousal caused by the buttocks.
It is derived from "pygo," the ancient Greek word for the posterior of an animal, and "philia," one of several ancient Greek words for love.
3. To be "callipygian" is to have a well-shaped butt...
"He found himself distracted by his neighbor's callipygian assets."
4. ...and being "dasypygal" is to have a hairy butt.
"He was far too dasypygal for any of the subway passengers' tastes."
5. Your butt is the largest muscle in your entire body.
One reason for the big ol' size of the gluteus maximus is that it does a lot of work keeping your torso erect all day long.
6. The butt has been a symbol of fertility and beauty throughout human history.
Evidence can be found in statues with exaggeratedly large butts created as far back as 24,000 BCE.
7. "Twerk" is now a legitimate dictionary word (kind of).
It was added to the Oxford Dictionaries Online in 2013, along with "selfie" and "Bitcoin." (Despite, many Internet rumors, this is not the same thing as actually being added the Oxford English Dictionary.)
8. Butts are women's preferred body part for compliments.
According to a survey from Men's Health and Women's Health, butts were chosen one-third of respondents' favorite body part to be complimented on, coming in above both eyes and breasts.
9. Men like the curve of the butt more than its size.
According to a study from the University of Texas at Austin, men are more attracted to the spinal curvature associated with a woman's butt than its actual size.
10. Women tend to prefer being the spankee to being the spanker.
According to stats from the British Sexual Fantasy Research Project, 13 percent of women admit to fantasizing about being spanked by a sexual partner, while only 7 percent fantasize about doing the spanking.
11. It's the other way around with men.
The same numbers show that 18 percent of men fantasize about spanking a partner, while 11 percent fantasize about getting spanked. Apparently, somewhere between 20 to 30 percent of men and women are just kind of boring.
12. Normal butts expel gas between 13 and 21 times a day.
Under 12 or over 22 means that you're a freakish, disgusting monster. Or that you're having minor digestive issues. One or the other.
13. Big butts produce smart kids.
The fat deposits in a mother's butt, hips and thighs store the Omega 3 fatty acids that contribute to babies' brain development.
14. About one-third of all people engage in anal sex.
That's 34 percent of men and 30 percent of women, according to the National Survey of Family Growth.
15. Big butts also lead to longer lives.
Carrying excess weight in your butt and thighs, instead of your gut, correlates to lower chances of diabetes and heart disease.
16. Fruits and vegetables keep your butt happy.
Staying hydrated and keeping plenty of fiber in your diet are two of the most important parts of keeping your butt's export business working on a regular basis.
17. Your thong might be giving you butt acne.
If you wear a thong during workouts, then you're not providing a buffer between your butt and the exercise pants that can give it acne, due the friction and sweat generated while exercising.