1. Penguins "propose" to their mate by giving them a special pebble
The male penguin will search the entire beach for that one perfect pebble. When he finds it, he'll put it at his lady's feet. If she picks up the pebble, that's her saying yes. Super adorable, right?
2. Sheep are able to recognize facial expressions and they especially like smiles
Sheep are able to recognize facial expressions and they especially like smiles
3. Infant pygmy marmosets babble like baby humans
Similar to the way that baby humans start to babble to figure out how to speak, infant pygmy marmosets will start babbling and eventually will figure out how to do adult vocalization
4. Cows have a best friend
Cows have a best friend
5. Koala bears hug trees to regulate their body temperature
Koala bears hug trees to regulate their body temperature
6. Polar bears have nose-to-nose greetings when they want to ask for food
If they use proper manners and ask politely, they are often allowed to share.
7. Squirrels will adopt any abandoned baby squirrels
If there is a baby squirrel who has been separated from it's parents, or have had a mother die, adult squirrels will take in this orphaned baby and care for it as their own.
8. Cats head-butt with you to bond with you
When a cat head-butts you, they are leaving part of their scent on you to mark you as part of the feline clan. It shows that they are comfortable with you and are wanting to bond with you.
9. Otters will hold hands while they sleep so they don't float away from each other.
Otters will hold hands while they sleep so they don't float away from each other.
10. Rats and mice are ticklish.
A study showed that rats have a ticklish spot and will "laugh" (or make really cute squeaking sounds that is the equivalent to mouse laughter) when they're touched there
11. Red pandas use their tail as a blanket
To keep warm when they're sleeping, a red panda will get wrapped up in their tail.
12. Rabbits have a happy dance
If a rabbit is feeling joyful, it will jump in the air and twist it's body. This action is called a binky
13. Baby elephants suck on their trunk for comfort
Baby elephants suck on their trunk for comfort
14. Newborn Pandas are incredibly light
They weigh about three and a half ounces - which is the approximate weight of a deck of cards. Adorable, no?
15. Japanese Macaques play with snowballs...for fun
Japanese Macaques play with snowballs...for fun
16. Dogs will sneeze to tell other dogs that they're just playing
Play-fighting can turn into a real fight if the dogs don't figure out that it's all just in good fun. In order to make sure everyone knows they're just playing around, dogs will sneeze as a sign. That way, it doesn't turn into a real fight, no one gets hurt and they can continue to play!
17. Mother otters will make a kelp baby sling for their little one when she dives in the water
Mother otters will make a kelp baby sling for their little one when she dives in the water
18. Otters have a special pouch where they like to keep food and their favorite rock
Otters have a special pouch where they like to keep food and their favorite rock
19. Unborn chicks communicate with their siblings and their mom from inside their shell
Unborn chicks communicate with their siblings and their mom from inside their shell
20. When puppies play, the boys will let the girls win
When puppies play, the boys will let the girls win